Welp, it’s official: fall capsule wardrobe #1 is behind me! I’ll be spending this next week putting the finishing touches on my winter capsule and packing my lighter items (read: sandals) away under the bed. I learn so much with each capsule, and this one will always hold a special place in my heart. I loved it! As I say goodbye to some of my fall favorites, I’m sharing my biggest takeaways + rounding up your favorite looks.
The outfit combinations from this capsule were (almost) endless, but here are a few of my/your favorites:
- Color palette. Grey and white was obviously my favorite here, with black/grey or black/denim being a close second. Having so many different options in the color palette I loved meant everything got worn. On the whole, this capsule was much more cohesive than my summer one and almost everything coordinated with each other. Endless combinations!
- Awesome accessories. I was much smarter about accessories here than in my summer capsule. My leopard clutch, gold aviators, and vegan leather tote got an insane amount of use and dressed up even the most basic outfit. The shoes also rocked, as evidenced by how many pictures above include these beautiful non-leather sandals.
- Travel. I went to NYC in early September and felt like I had the perfect outfit for each occasion. I am generally dressed inappropriately for the weather/activity/all of the above when I travel, so this was particularly satisfying.
- Leopard TOMS. Why, why, why was this my first pair of TOMS? They may be my most-worn item in this capsule, as they were perfect whether I was on my way to yoga or off to nanny in the afternoons.
- Special occasions. While I had the right clothes for dressy occasions when fall was still warm, once the temperatures dropped I found myself scrambling for a fancier outfit. One was my grandmother’s birthday dinner, and another was the wedding of a high school friend of Patrick’s. I didn’t have much in the way of dressy and warm, and in both cases I felt like I didn’t have the right thing to wear. Note to self: give yourself the option of 2-3 dressy outfits, or a special occasion capsule.
- Jewelry. While I felt like I nailed it with bags, shoes, and sunglasses, my jewelry collection was beyond lacking. I think it currently consists of two gold bangles, a pair of faux diamond studs, a pair of faux pearl studs, and these pavé sparklers from Kate Spade. That’s. It. Did somebody say “boring”? Will definitely be adding some inexpensive statement necklaces and earrings to my winter wardrobe.
- Fit. There were a few items that got returned due to their fit, so I never even ended up wearing them. Unfortunately, these leopard heels that I loved didn’t come in half sizes, and a 9 was too small and a 10 was too big. These distressed white jeans were one of the items I was most excited about, but they fit SO differently than my regular white jeans and were way too tight (even sizing up). I was really excited about this navy tank dress, but it just didn’t flatter me. And I realized the v-neck on my midi dress makes me not wear it, since I prefer a crew neck. Live, learn, and return.
Lessons learned. The one thing I’m loving the most about capsules? No shopping! For a few weeks at the end of the capsule I’m researching and online shopping like crazy, but then for three months I don’t even look at a store. It’s amazing.
Now for the outfits, starting with y’all’s #1 favorite!
Winter capsule drops next week. Can’t wait to share with you!