How many times do you find yourself looking at the ingredients of something and think, “I can make that myself!?” I do that a lot!!! So, I usually take a picture of the ingredients, write them on my list for the next grocery shop, and find recipes or try make one up. I decided to do that for apple cider because A) I knew my house would smell amazing with apples bubbling in the slow cooker, and B)”Tis the season.
I absolutely love all the different seasons because I get to eat and drink accordingly. Salads and smoothies in the warmer months and soups and hot drinks in the cooler months. What other drinks do you want to see here at Rebelle Kitchen?
Homemade Hot Apple Cider
- 5 apples peeled and cut in thick pieces
- 1 mandarin orange or regular orange, peeled
- 8 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp all spice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- squeeze lemon juice or add whole peeled lemon
- Add all of the ingredients into a slow cooker for 3 hours.
- Mash the apples and cook for another hour.
- Strain the mixture several times into a jug using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth until smooth.
- Add sugar till you reach your desired sweetness. The ¼ cup was enough for me.
- Serve with sliced apples and a cinnamon stick and refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!
Pity you can’t see the deck that I have to sweep every day because my one-year-old son insists that I get the “brrrr” (brooms) out of the shed and sweep the deck. You do something once or twice and they hook on to it and make it into a routine every day! I’ve created a sweeping fanatic! Ahhhhh.