I have never been a “health muffin” person. I used to despise muffins actually. I thought they were the evil step sister to the cupcake (which I love). I guess one of the reasons I never ate them was that I am a breakfast cereal person through and through. I never needed a muffin on the way to school or work as I would always have my cereal religiously each morning. I also never enjoyed fruit in anything like pancakes, cake, and pies until more recently, so it makes sense that fruit in a muffin wasn’t appetizing.
Cupcakes are another story. At my high school they started selling chocolate cupcakes and fudge in our School Shop (where you bought your school uniforms) and you could put it on your parents’ account. Before the bell would go for “tea” at 10:00am, you would figure out an excuse to get out of your class early and head to the School Shop so you could get in line or they would be sold out before you even packed away your space case. Did I just date myself?!
My mom got the first bill after a month and had an absolute fit that I had spent R50 on cupcakes and fudge. I obviously had to pay her back and then take cash from then on. Womp womp.
Now that I’m all grown up and I have a little one that is going to want everything I eat, I am trying to find and adapt some recipes for healthy snacks. After the first bite of these muffins I though that I didn’t like them and even told Ensley I couldn’t post something on the blog I didn’t love. I packed them away in a container and tried one again later and wouldn’t you know it I thought it was good. Then another…and another (I have huge self-restraint issues) and I had totally fallen in love with the sweet and zesty flavor. So if it’s not love at first bite, give them another chance!
Lemon Hemp Blueberry Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp freshly lemon juice
- 1 TBS white distilled vinegar
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ (200℃) and lightly grease the muffin tin.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, hemp seeds, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, maple syrup, milk, oil, lemon juice, and vinegar and mix well. Add the flour mixture to this and stir just until blended. Fold in the berries with a spatula.
- Fill the lightly greased muffin tins about two-thirds full. Bake until lightly browned on the top or a knife inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 10-15 mins.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit for five minutes before cooling on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container and enjoy!
I am totally geeking out on the info I just read about hemp seeds and their nutritional benefits. Not only are they a great plant-based source of protein and omega 3&6, they also help balance hormones, and can even help reduce the risk of heart disease and arthritis. They help with skin problems, pms, menopause and even ADHD. If muffins aren’t your thing then just pop the hemp seeds into your smoothie and you are good to go!
I can’t wait to have these on hand for my little vegan baby. I might see if I can cut out the sugar and just use the maple sugar! Such a lovely Summer snack for by the pool.
What kind of health muffins are your favorite?