I’m a woman of habit. When I find recipes I like, I just make the same ones over and over again. Anyone else feel me? So…it took me about 2 years before I stopped turning to page 110 of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s cookbook, “The Joy of Vegan Baking,” for the yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies and finally tried the Peanut Butter Cookies instead.
Of course, when you try new things you are usually pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is. Now when I go to bake something yummy, I have a hard time choosing between the chocolate chip and these peanut butter cookies.
I can’t wait to try more recipes in her book, they have all been so good so far!
The Joy of Vegan Baking's Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour sifted
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer equivalent of one egg
- 2 TBS water
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter crunchy or smooth
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter Earth Balance is our favorite
- 3 TBS non-dairy milk
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ground peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (optional - I didn't add these)
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190C). Line 2 or 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or use non-stick baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set it to the side. In a food processor or blender, whip the egg replacer and water together until thick and creamy. Side note - I use an electric hand mixer and mine has never looked "thick and creamy," but it still does the job.
- In a large bowl, add the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat on medium with an electric hand mixer until well blended. Add the egg replacer mixer and beat until just blended. Add the flour mixture and blend. Add the ground peanuts and chocolate chips at the end if you choose.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork. I like doing the criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and place on a cookie sheet after cooking for 3 minutes.
Would you add the chocolate chips or leave them without?
Whats your favorite type of cookie?