Oliver has always loved his Banana Oat Pancakes with his cereal every morning but two weeks ago he suddenly started refusing to eat them. I’m used to thinking on my feet (I was an elementary school teacher for almost 8 years) but this time I didn’t have to because another breakfast idea was staring at me in the face, literally!
Daniel’s All Bran Flakes box had a recipe for bran muffins on it so I did what I do best and adapted the recipe to make them vegan and used apple pieces as the fruit instead of blueberries. I was very happy with the way they turned out and Oliver has been enjoying them with vegan butter and a little jam in the mornings with his cereal. Whew!
I’m all about trying to find healthy snacks for my 15 month old so these healthy muffins are a perfect on-the-go snack or an easy breakfast idea for toddlers or the whole family. They are even more delicious with vegan butter and some jam but can be eaten plain as well.
A big thank you to White Leaf Provisions for gifting us with some yummy organic, non-GMO baby food. I used their delicious apple + cinnamon sauce in the muffins and they turned out delicious. The sauce by itself tasted like apple pie in a cup it was so good! Find out more about their products here.
I’ve said this previously but before dear old Kendra (me) had kids (just one baby) I made some very silly statements, was very judge about how other people parented, and had some very unrealistic expectations about what I was and wasn’t going to do.
One of the things I said was that I was never going to give my child baby pouches, I was going to hand make everything all the time.forever. Well seriously, this is very silly and of course home made is so much better as you know exactly what goes into your food with no preservatives, but there are times where these baby pouches come in so handy!
Vegan Apple Bran Muffins
- 2 TSBP ground flax seed
- 4 TBSP water
- 1 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown packed sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups Bran cereal organic bran flakes cereal would be my first choice
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup apple sauce I used White Leaf Provisions apple + cinnamon sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 3/4 cup fresh apples diced
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and lightly grease a muffin pan.
- In a coffee cup, mix the ground flax seeds and water. Leave to gel up.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, milk and apple sauce and leave for about 2 minutes until the cereal has softened. Add flax mixture and oil then beat with a hand mixer until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture stirring just until combined. Fold in the apples or fruit of your choice.
- Spoon batter into a muffin pan and bake at 400℉ for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick/knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Can be frozen.
- Adapted from Kellogg’s All Bran Flakes
More healthy vegan snack ideas for the whole family:
- Granola Bars
- Lemon Hemp Blueberry Muffins
- Berry Antioxidant Smoothie
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Tropical smoothie
- Raw Energy Bites
- Glowing Green Smoothie
What are your favorite healthy snacks for kids?