I honestly can’t believe I had to remake a recipe and take out sugar because it was too sweet!!!! Who am I??? I had an incredibly sweet tooth growing up (mostly for chocolate bars, cakes, ice-cream etc.) but becoming a vegan really helped me because I can’t just buy a candy bar (or three) in the “isle of temptation” as I check out of the grocery store. I have to go home and bake a treat if I want something yummy and vegan, unless I am at Whole Foods which is not a good idea for our budget so I don’t go there often.
Anyway, I picked these apples from Grandad’s Apples in Hendersonville back when my birth father was visiting from Australia and it’s actually quite a story. We were on our way to another apple farm when a few police cars with their lights and sirens flashing passed us. The traffic in the single lane road got to a standstill and we saw the inevitable red line on our maps so we turned around and headed to Grandad’s apples. Several more police passed us as well as fire trucks and first responders so it must have been an awful incident. I wasn’t frustrated by the inconvenience this time, but I always try to check myself if I start to get irritated with traffic because I remember that there may be people in life-threatening conditions and I’m just fine in my car.
Turns out we had a lovely time picking apples at Grandad’s. We borrowed a ladder from one of the employees and even got to climb in the tree to get some good ones, not that we knew what to look for. There were a couple animals for Oliver to look at and we had a lovely picnic by the little dam. Oliver even stood by himself for the longest time while we were there. Now he can walk and stand pretty confidently, but it was a surprise to see then!
I only slightly adapted this recipe from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau in her book, The Joy of Vegan Baking. It is an incredible recipe book and I highly recommend getting it!
It is really easy and delicious with vanilla bean coconut ice-cream. Enjoy!
Vegan Apple Cobbler
- 5 cups tart apples peeled + sliced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 5 TBSP vegan butter softened
- ½ cup non-dairy milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 TBSP vegan butter melted and brushed on top of dough
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190℃) and have an ungreased 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) baking pan ready, at least 2 inches deep.
For the filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, flour and water. Mix until evenly distributed and spread evenly in the baking dish.
For the Dough:
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. When thoroughly combined, add the vegan butter and milk.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes a sticky dough. Spread out evenly over the filling in the baking dish or leave it in blobs over the fruit.
For the topping:
- Melt the butter and brush it over the dough before putting it in the oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden brown.