Anyone else a creature of habit? Before I became a vegan, I ate the same breakfast (Pronutro) for about 26 years. I think I even ate the same lunch (ham and cheese sandwich) for that same amount of time and our dinners lacked variety as well. Becoming a vegan has opened the door to so many wonderful dishes and a wide variety of foods and meals that we never had imagined before. Having said that, I still eat the same thing for breakfast (muesli) and Ollie eats his oat cereal with pieces of fruit cut up in it. I’m always looking for other healthy breakfast options so I was excited to give these Banana Oat Pancakes a try.
I found a very simple and easy recipe on Vegans First that only uses 3 ingredients; oats, banana and non-dairy milk. How healthy is that?! I tried it out and took the pictures (above and below) but they had a little too much banana taste for me so I adapted the recipe from Tully with another great recipe that we use often from the book: The Joy Of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick Goudreau.
I’m very happy with the result (light and fluffy pancakes) and I feel confident to give them to Ollie with some fruit in the mornings. I learned a trick from Hope (Hope Heart and Home) to freeze the pancakes so they are ready whenever you need them. Thanks Hope!
Vegan Banana Oat Pancakes
- 1 cup oats pulsed into flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ banana cut into small chunks
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1 TBS canola oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp salt
- sprinkling cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- In a blender, pulse the oats into a flour.
- Combine all ingredients (minus the baking powder) into a bowl and mix with a hand beater.
- Add the baking powder to the mixture and combine gently. Add more milk if you need a more runny batter.
- Spread a teaspoon of vegan butter on a pan and cook pancakes until golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup and/or berry compote.
Don’t forget to tag us @rebellekitchen when you make these! Enjoy!
What are you favorite breakfast foods?
What toppings do you like on pancakes?