I quit meat “cold turkey” when I became a vegetarian overnight about 3 years ago. See what I did there? But cheese…now that was a different story! After being a vegetarian for almost a year, it took another 6 months to transition to being vegan. All because of cheese and milk. I could not see how I was going to live without them. Then I realized, I don’t want or need to use animal products just because I want a snack when there are tons of other options out there.
I didn’t like vegan cheese for a LONG time but this week I finally found a cheese that is melty and great for toasted sandwiches. It’s the “Go Veggie pepper jack” cheese slices. So melty, did I mention that already? And delicious too.
Enjoy this simple lunch or lazy Sunday dinner on us.
- 1 medium sized tomato , sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves (more or less as you please)
- 4 slices of bread
- Earth Balance vegan butter
- Go Veggie pepper jack cheese slices (or variety of your choice)
- 1 Avocado (optional)(but is it?)
- Sprinkle of salt & pepper
- Warm up your panini press (or just a pan on the stove).
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Assemble sandwich beginning with a slice of bread (buttered on both sides), vegan cheese, tomato slices, basil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place in panini press until golden lines form and cheese is melty, or pan fry until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Option: Add avocado after after toasting the sandwich.
Have you given up anything that took some time? We’d love to hear about it!