I know what it’s like to have nothing to eat at a party. (Or worse-nothing to eat but hummus. ENOUGH WITH THE HUMMUS.) So when I hosted my dear friend SK’s baby shower a few weeks ago, I was determined to put together a menu that (almost) everyone could enjoy. I tweaked a few of my go-to party recipes to make them gluten free as well as vegan, and the guests loved it.
Fun fact: people love pinwheels. I made these for the baby shower and for our housewarming party back in January, and they disappeared quickly both times.
Besides being delish, they’re totally easy. Four ingredients, a mixing bowl, a little refrigeration and you’re done. Plus, who can resist a treat that’s vegan and gluten-free? Not me, I’ll tell ya that.
GF + Vegan Cranberry Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- 2 8-oz containers vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti, Daiya, or Kite Hill)* softened
- 2 cups dried cranberries chopped
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 8 gluten-free tortillas**
- Before starting, take the cream cheese out of the fridge and allow it to soften.
- Chop cranberries and green onions and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add softened cream cheese to cranberries and green onions and stir until well-combined. (This could take some arm strength!)
- Spread cream cheese mixture over each tortilla, then roll up tightly like a joint. (I kid, I kid.) Don't slice them yet!
- Place rolled-up tortillas on a plate or cookie sheet and allow to chill in the fridge. Overnight is ideal, 30 minutes to an hour is also fine depending on how much time you have.
- Right before you're ready to serve, slice tortillas into 1-inch (or so) slices. This would be a good time to eat a few since they'll all be gone the minute your guests arrive.
As you’re shopping, be mindful that many gluten-free products have egg or other gross additives. Always check your labels! I’ve linked to some good options in the recipe notes.