My Aunty Cheri introduced me to the wonderful meal that is the taco salad and I was very excited to make a vegan version. It’s on our meal plans every week because the leftovers are a must for #momlife and it’s not hot and heavy so you can enjoy it outdoors on the deck.
Daniel and I took this meal to a friend’s house and their 3 year old asked for more before he had even finished his bowl! That just makes a cook’s heart melt and I love that it’s a great family meal for when Ollie starts to eat more “grown up” food with us! You can definaltey get about 7-8 portions out of it, depending on how big your portions are obviously and we use the leftovers in a wrap, as a quesadilla or just as taco salad again 😉
It only looks like the above picture about for a second before I mix up the guacamole and vegan mayonnaise and it looks like a big mess, but it’s so tasty! You have to get all the mayo and avocado mixed around really well, so don’t be shy.
Vegan Taco Salad
- 1 block tempe Broken up into small pieces
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8-10 very small tomatoes
- ½ onion diced
- 1 TBS vinegar
- 1 TBS sugar
- chives or cilantro to taste
- 1 can beans I used pinto
- 1 can organic corn
- spring mix spinach, lettuce etc.
- avocado mashed
- vegan mayonaise
- Break up the tempe into a pan and fry for 5 minutes before adding the water and taco seasoning according to the directions on the packet. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until brown.
- Dice the tomatoes and onion and mix together in a bowl with the vinegar, sugar, and cilantro or chives.
- Put all the toppings in cute little bowls and then build your own taco salad starting with the spring lettuce mix, tempe, beans and corn, salsa, vegan mayo, avocado and lastly Fritos on top.
- Take a picture then mix them all together and enjoy!
Tag #rebellekitchen when you make it, we love to see you enjoying our recipes.
What toppings am I missing?