I’m on a summer pasta salad kick so I’m trying out all sorts of different combinations and am loving experimenting with different flavors. The Fusilli Pasta I posted a little while back has a fun tomato and olive flavor, while this Tofu Penne Pasta has a creamy cashew avocado flavor.
I’ve been serving Ollie more finger foods again lately because we went to the Doctor and she said that he can eat everything that we are eating, with special care not to have too much salt (and other seasonings) or sugar in the foods. So, I have been trying to let him experiment with pasta and it’s a little scary but he did so well with this last night. We gave him exactly what we were eating, minus the teriyaki tofu (it’s a little too seasoned) and he had a good time. We just add salt and pepper in our own bowls after dishing up. He is still not eating a lot at this stage but he is having fun and getting some of it into his mouth so that’s fine with me. It’s so fun to watch him learn to use his little pincer grip and work on his fine motor control. It’s also the best thing to hear him say, “Mmmmm!”
So this one is “Ollie approved” enjoy!
A note about the cashews: They are best soaked overnight or at least 4 hours before you cook. However, if you are in a pinch, soak them in boiling water for an hour. They turn out a lot finer and more creamy if soaked beforehand.
- ½ package penne pasta (½ lb)
- 1 TBSP coconut Oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ½ punnet mushrooms sliced and halved
- 1 packet baked Tofu (8oz) I use Nasoya Teriyaki
- ½ cucumber cubed
- ½ - 1 avocado cubed
- 3 sprigs dill finely chopped
For the tofu sauce
- ¼ cup silken tofu
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup cashews soaked beforehand*
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box, typically in boiling water on the stove for 10-12 minutes.
- Heat up the oil in the pan and add onions and spices. I use garlic salt, italian herbs and everyday seasoning.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms when the onions have browned. Add more oil if needed.
- While the onions and mushrooms are frying, add the silken tofu, avocado, almond milk, cashews and dijon mustard in a blender. Blend until creamy.
- Combine the pasta, onions + mushrooms, baked tofu, avocado cubes and tofu sauce together in a bowl. Add dill and salt + pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
What pasta salad should I try next?
How did your baby do with pasta?
What are your favorite meals for the whole family?