My mom told me that the secret to our family lasagna recipe being so good is that we use white sauce. Apparently here in the States, the white sauce isn’t commonly found in lasagna recipes. No wonder people always love ours! The creamy white sauce adds so much flavor to an already delicious dish so don’t skip this step.
This dish takes an hour to prepare and 35 minutes to cook. It’s quite an investment, so it’s definitely not in my “Easy Vegan Dinner” collection but it is in my “All Time Favorite” collection that doesn’t exist yet.
Some tips and notes about the vegetable lasagna recipe:
- It is defiantly worth precutting all the ingredients so you can throw them into the pans and keep anything from burning while you turn your back.
- You can combine the onions, mushrooms, vegan sausage and tempe with the tomato basil pasta sauce and layer the dish this way – tomato onion mix, zucchini + eggplant layer, pasta sheets and white sauce. I did it that way in the recipe tutorial on my Instagram. It’s saved in my highlights under “Recipe Tutorials.”
- Only preheat the oven when you start the white sauce because you don’t need it on while you are preparing everything.
- If you don’t like zucchini or eggplant, you can totally leave them out, or just do a layer of one of them (then use double the amount needed.) I just love a lasagne that has lots of vegetables vs tomatoes and pasta sheets. #amiright
- You can serve this with a lovely glass of red wine (if you want) and a side salad or some garlic bread. We often just eat it by itself because that’s all I have time for, but if we have friends over or if I take it as a meal for someone who has a baby or some other need, then I go the full mile.
- Below is a picture of the zucchini and eggplant slices in a tiny pan to give you an idea of the shape.
Best Vegan Vegetable Lasagne
- 4 tsps olive oil divided
- ½ onion peeled and diced
- pinch spices garlic salt, coriander, Italian herbs, all spice
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 6 oz mushrooms cleaned and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 vegan sausages sliced
- 1 zucchini cut in small rectangles
- ½ eggplant cut in small rectangles
- 1 packet tempe broken up into crumbles
- 1 TBSP soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 cups tomato basil pasta sauce divided
- lasagna pasta sheets
For the white sauce:
- ½ cup vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I used almond unsweetened vanilla
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- ¼ cup crushed cashews for topping option to use vegan cheese
- Precut the onion, mushrooms, sausages, tempe, zucchini and eggplant and set aside separately.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add 1 tsp of the olive oil, the chopped ½ onion and the spices. Sauté for 5-8 minutes until well done and add 2 cloves mashed garlic for the last 30 seconds.
- While the onions cook, in a medium pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and the 6 oz mushrooms. Sauté till lightly browned and then combine with the onions and set aside.
- In the large pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and sauté the zucchini and eggplant till golden brown on both sides. Set aside separately to the onions + mushroom mix.
- While the eggplant + zucchini cook, in the medium pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and sauté the vegan sausages for 5-8 minutes, turning and browning the outside. Add to the onions + mushrooms when complete and set aside.
- In the large or medium pan (whichever is available) add the tempe crumbles with the 1 TBSP soy sauce and maple syrup. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add together with the onions, mushrooms and sausages.
For the white sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a small/medium pot, add the butter and melt. Add the flour slowly and stir continuously. Mix until a paste forms.
- Add the vegetable broth mixing continuously. Add the non-dairy milk and mix slowly as the sauce thickens.
- Add the nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
Layering the lasagna:
- In a large, deep baking dish (about 9x13in) spread 1 cup of the tomato basil pasta sauce all around the bottom.
- Add a layer of lasagna pasta sheets.
- Spread a layer of the onions, sausage, mushroom and tempe mixture. About half the total mixture.
- Add a layer of zucchini and eggplant, alternating them like a checkerboard, about half the total vegetables.
- Spread a layer of white sauce next and make sure it covers the other ingredients well. Just under half the total amount of sauce.
- Repeat steps 1-5 (tomato basil pasta sauce, lasagna, sausage mixture, zucchini + eggplant) and then end with a generous white sauce layer.
- Add crushed cashews and/or vegan cheese as a topping.
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 400°F or 204°C for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the cashews are lightly browned. Put your feet up and enjoy!
Don’t forget to tag me @rebellekitchen so I can see your wonderful creations! Happy cooking everyone. Bon Appétit.